'And delight in all that in which God delights': words from Taylor for Rogationtide

On this Rogation Wednesday, words from Jeremy Taylor. The words were written in 1650, as Taylor lived with the consequences of the sequestration of Episcopalian clergy, Royalist defeat in the civil wars, and the victory of the Commonwealth regime:

... what now? let me look about me. They have left me the sun and moon, fire and water, a loving wife, and many friends to pity me, and some to relieve me, and I can still discourse; and, unless I list, they have not taken away my merry countenance, and my cheerful spirit, and a good conscience; they still have left me the providence of God, and all the promises of the gospel, and my religion, and my hopes of heaven, and my charity to them too; and still I sleep and digest, I eat and drink, I read and meditate; I can walk in my neighbour’s pleasant fields, and see the variety of natural beauties, and delight in all that in which God delights - that is, in virtue and wisdom, in the whole creation, and in God himself. And he that hath so many causes of joy, and so great, is very much in love with sorrow and peevishness, who loses all these pleasures, and chooses to sit down upon his little handful of thorns. 

From Rules for Holy Living, Chapter II.6, 'Of Contentedness in all estates and accidents'

Comments

Popular Posts