Holy Week with Jeremy Taylor: "be pitiful and gracious to thy servant"

For as for me, I am not worthy to be called thy servant, much less am I worthy to be thy son, for I am the vilest of sinners and the worst of men, a lover of the things of the world, and a despiser of the things of God, greedy of sin, and impatient of reproof, desirous to seem holy, and negligent of being so, transported with interest, fool'd with presumption and false principles, disturb'd with anger, with a peevish and unmortified spirit, and disordered by a whole body of sin and death. Lord pardon all my sins for my sweetest Saviour's sake; thou who didst die for me, Holy Jesus, save me and deliver me, reserve not my sins to be punished in the day of wrath and eternal vengeance; but wash away my sins, and blot them out of thy remembrance, and purify my soul with the waters of repentance and the blood of the cross, that for what is past thy wrath may not come out against me, and for the time to come I may never provoke thee to anger or to jealousy. O just and dear God be pitiful and gracious to thy servant. Amen

From Holy Living, 'An act of repentance or contrition'

Comments

Popular Posts