Skip to main content

In gratitude for Wendell Berry

I am not a poet, nor have I any expertise in poetry. I read poetry, yes, but my tastes are very conventional. I dislike jarring poems. Sharp poems. Poems that delight in discomforting the reader (yes, I know the Mad Farmer would disapprove). I am unembarrassed about reading poetry that brings me to 'pass my time in rest and quietness'.

I first read the poetry of Wendell Berry over fifteen years ago, during a time when I was receiving treatment for depression. The Selected Poems of Wendell Berry (1998) sat for over a year on my bedside table, dipped into on most days. The poems quietly, gently, slowly over that year aided a recovery of the habits and rhythms, pastimes and routines which bring coherence and provide a basis for gratitude. The words of Wendell Berry are, for me, meditations on the words of the hymn: "let our ordered lives confess the beauty of Thy peace".

The years went by. The collections of Wendell Berry poems on my bookshelves increased. Sunday afternoons and evenings have become my favourite times for reading Berry - appropriate, I think, for a poet whose words, over decades, have been shaped by "the idea of the sabbath" (see the introduction to This Day: Collected & New Sabbath Poems, 2013). 

As I have said, I have no expertise in poetry. And I am certainly no Wendell Berry expert. This post, then, will offer no insights into Berry or his work. It merely seeks to record my gratitude for the poetry of Wendell Berry and something of my experience of reading his poetry.

The Wendell Berry psalms

On the 27th evening of each month, I think of Wendell Berry. Amongst the psalms appointed for Evening Prayer are Psalms 127 and 128. I refer to them as the 'Wendell Berry psalms'. The psalmist talks of labour, rest, marriage, children, blessing, peace - the stuff of many a Wendell Berry poem. I am tempted, indeed, to think of those poems as reflections on Psalms 127 and 128. 

When the psalmist, then, says "Thy wife shall be as the fruitful vine : upon the wall of thy house", my thoughts turn to 'The Country of Marriage':

Sometimes our life reminds me

of a forest in which there is a graceful clearing

and in that opening a house,

an orchard and garden,

comfortable shades, and flowers

red and yellow in the sun, a pattern

made in the light for the light to return to.

When the psalmist says "for so he giveth his beloved sleep", I think of Sabbaths 1990, V:

Sleep is the prayer the body prays,

Breathing in unthought faith the Breath

That through our worry-wearied days

Preserves our rest, and is our truth.

When the psalmist says "For thou shalt eat the labours of thine hands : O well is thee, and happy shalt thou be", I think of 'Like Snow':

Suppose we did our work

like the snow, quietly, quietly,

leaving nothing out.

Wendell Berry, like the psalmist who wrote Psalms 127 and 128, turns us to the ordinary routines of labour, domesticity, and rest, and there sees grace and blessing. This is suggestive, I think, of a particular theological vision. Berry's poems meditating on the ordinary might be compared to Andrew Graham-Dixon's superb interpretation of Vermeer's paintings of ordinary, daily scenes: both point to a theological vision that beholds and rejoices in the grace of the ordinary.

Ordinary things and the divine

This also brings me to consider how Wendell Berry can be seen as giving expression to a theological vision shared with another great contemporary literary figure, Marilynne Robinson. The works of Berry, the poet of the ordinary, surely echo the words of Robinson, the novelist of the ordinary:

No, a mystical experience would be wasted on me. Ordinary things have always seemed numinous to me. One Calvinist notion deeply implanted in me is that there are two sides to your encounter with the world. You don’t simply perceive something that is statically present, but in fact there is a visionary quality to all experience. It means something because it is addressed to you ...You can draw from perception the same way a mystic would draw from a vision. 

No less than with Robinson, Berry's vision has no need for mystical experiences, shrines, or icons. Consider 'Again the air is full':

Again the air is full

of falling: the fall of the leaves

in the weighty season that bring

all home again to the lowly

miracle from which they came ...

The year is the showing forth

of the heavenly love that is

the being of the present world.

The leaves, opening and at last

falling, hold a while

the beauty of God who made them

by the work and care of Nature,

His vicar and our mother.

His only is the light

of which all things are made,

the beauty that they are,

the delight that is our prayer.

This is also seen in 'The Wild Geese', particularly in its closing lines:

Horseback on Sunday morning,

harvest over, we taste persimmon

and wild grape, sharp sweet

of summer's end. In time's maze

over fall fields, we name names

that rest on graves. We open

a persimmon seed to find the tree

that stands in promise,

pale, in the seed's marrow.

Geese appear high over us,

pass, and the sky closes. Abandon,

as in love or sleep, holds

them to their way, clear

in the ancient faith: what we need

is here. And we pray, not

for new earth or heaven, but to be

quiet in heart, and in eye,

clear. What we need is here.

Words from a sermon by William Paley come to mind, words of which, I think, Berry might have approved:

We shall pray much in secret. We shall address ourselves to God of our own accord, in our walks, our closet, our bed. Form, in these addresses, will be nothing. Every thing will come from the heart. 

Read in such a manner, Berry, like Robinson, can be seen as embodying something of the character of a mainline Protestant piety: knowing and grateful for the sanctity of the ordinary, that 'what we need is here'; quiet, never overbearing; modest, not loud; generous, not sectarian; gracious because of grace. This is the piety I received from my parents, the piety I see in those amongst whom I worship and minister. As for mystical experiences, shrines, or icons, there is no need. Instead, look around daily life with Berry. And give thanks.

... so I may bow

to mystery, and take my stand on the earth

like a tree in a field, passing without haste

or regret toward what will be, my life

a patient willing descent into the grass ('The Wish to be Generous').

The grace of rhythms

The poems of Wendell Berry have nurtured in me a joyful gratitude for rhythms, rhythms marked in my life by the Book of Common Prayer.

Each morning, "who hast brought us safely to this day":

But this morning I came

again at first light. The river

had cleared. It lay still from bend

to bend. The night birds were passing

homeward ahead of the day. An owl

trilled once, and then a wren woke

and sang. The herons stalked

soundlessly the dusky shadows. Quietly,

quietly, the river received

the forgiveness of the new dawn (Sabbaths 2002, IX).

Each evening, "may pass our time in rest and quietness":

The sun sets. Ahead of nightfall the birds sing.

I have climbed up to water the horses

and now sit and rest, high on the hillside,

letting the day gather and pass ('In this World').

Each Harvest Thanksgiving, "we yield thee hearty thanks that thou hast safely brought us to the season of harvest":

The calling of a crow sounds

loud—a landmark—now

that the life of summer falls

silent, and the nights grow ('October 10')

Each Christmas, "born as at this time for us":

Remembering that it happened once,

We cannot turn away the thought,

As we go out, cold, to our barns

Toward the long night’s end, that we

Ourselves are living in the world

It happened in when it first happened ... (Sabbaths 1987, VI).

At each graveside, "Man that is born of a woman hath but a short time to live":

The old, whose bodies encrust their lives,

Die, and that is well.

They unhinder what has struggled in them ...


The young, who have looked on dying,

Turn back to the world, grown strangely

Alert to each other’s bodies. ('The Burial of the Old').

How to do religion

I turn again to Marilynne Robinson to aid my understanding of Wendell Berry:

My point is that lacking the terms of religion, essential things cannot be said.

As Berry put it:

They believe they've understood

belief in "the transcendent" 

by disbelieving. 


Some mental feats remain

impossible even to the best

of human minds (Sabbaths 2015, V).

Berry's poetry demonstrates how "the terms of religion" allow us to recognise grace and offer gratitude in the midst of this earthly life. He does so not through intense, loud confessional claims, but with a simple, quiet recognition of "the fulness of him that filleth all in all":

The incarnate Word is with us,

is still speaking, is present

always, yet leaves no sign

but everything that is (Sabbaths 1999, IX).

We glimpse this fulness now. We fully enter into this fulness - of which Berry says in Sabbath 2008, II, "And so we come, whichever way we turn, to plentitude" - in the life everlasting.

Eternity is not infinity.

It is not a long time.

It does not begin at the end of time.

It does not run parallel to time.

In its entirety it always was.

In its entirety it will always be.

It is entirely present always (Sabbaths 2005, XIII).

Living far from rural Kentucky, having an ecclesiastical allegiance rather different to that of Port Royal Baptist Church, I am profoundly grateful for how my life has been enriched and guided by the poetry of Wendell Berry. For the years to come of my earthly life, the collection of his books of poetry will sit on my bookshelves, particularly read on Sunday afternoons, with favourite poems especially sought out as summer ends, as autumn arrives, as winter comes, as the year turns. 

For now, I end with the concluding verses of 'Remembering My Father'.

He said his father’s saying.

We were standing on the hill

To watch the cattle grazing

As the gray evening fell.


“Look. See that this is good,

And then you won’t forget.”

I saw it as he said,

And I have not forgot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I support the ordination of women: a High Church reflection

A number of commenters on this blog have asked about my occasional expressions of support for the ordination of women to all three orders.  With some hesitation, I have decided to post a summary of my own views on this matter.  The hesitation is because I have sought on this blog to focus on issues and themes which can unify those who identify with or have respect (grudging or otherwise!) for what we might term 'classical' Anglicanism (the Anglicanism of the Formularies and - yes - of the Old High Church tradition).  Some oppose the ordination of women (and I have friends and colleagues who do so, Anglo-Catholic, High Church, and Reformed Evangelical).  Some of us support it (again, friends and colleagues covering a wide range of theological traditions). Below, I have organised my thinking around 5 points (needless to say, no reference to Dort is implied). 1. The Declaration for Subscription required of clergy in the Church of Ireland states: (6) I promise to submit ...

How the Old High tradition continued

Charles Gore's 1914 letter to the clergy of his diocese, ' The Basis of Anglican Fellowship ', can be regarded as a classical expression of the Prayer Book Catholic tradition.  A key part of the letter - entitled 'Romanizing in the Church of England' - addressed the "Catholic movement", questioning beliefs and practices within it which tended to "a position which makes it very difficult for its extremer representatives to give an intelligible reason why they are not Roman Catholics".  Gore provides the outlines of an alternative account and experience of catholicity within Anglicanism, defined by three characteristics.  What is particularly interesting about these characteristics is their continuity with the older High Church tradition.  Indeed, the central characteristic as set out by Gore was integral to High Church claims over centuries: To accept the Anglican position as valid, in any sense, is to appeal behind the Pope and the authority of t...

'Whether the Lutheran Churches have right Ordinations and perfect succession of Bishops': Jeremy Taylor, 'Episcopacy Asserted', and Lutheran orders

Amidst the bitter controversies over episcopacy in the Three Kingdoms during the early 1640s, controversies which had become war in Scotland in 1637 and then in England in 1642, Jeremy Taylor wrote his Laudian defence of episcopal order, The Sacred Order and Offices of Episcopacy Asserted and Maintained . He proposed in this work that the non-episcopal Reformed churches could have had episcopally-ordered clergy: Those good people might have had order from the bishops of England or the Lutheran churches, if at least they thought our churches catholic and Christian. Leaving aside the reality that, for example, French Protestants would have been placed in an invidious political position if they had done as Taylor proposed, it is the reference to "the Lutheran churches" which is significant.  To begin with, a large portion of the Lutheran churches - those in the German lands - were governed by a system of superintendency. It is almost inconceivable that Taylor was not aware of th...